Monday, August 13, 2012

First Day of Kindergarten and First Day of Preschool


The last week has been a bit crazy.  School was suppose to start on August 6th, but with construction delays on the new location, it was postponed a week at the last minute.  All of our favorite nannies were either back at school or away for a last vacation before school begins.  So with Derek out of town and having a already filled work schedule myself, Grandma came to the rescue.  She and I managed to (barely) survive last week.  The good news is we live right down the street from the new school and Chamberlain and Cassidy were able to see the construction progress and were so excited for the doors to open today. 

I teared up making Cassidy's lunch last night and teared up again walking them to school.  This is a huge improvement from 3 years ago when I sat in the car and cried for 30 minutes after dropping Chamberlain off for her first day of Preschool.  Cassidy is a people person and needs the interaction with other children, so I know she is ready and will do great.  She couldn't wait all summer, in fact, school is the reason she decided to finish potty training.  I told her if she wanted to go to school with Chamberlain she couldn't wear diapers.  She agreed and said "no more diapers for me"!

Even with the constant excitement over school, Cassidy showed a little sign of nervousness this morning.  She came in the room this morning to wake me up and the first thing she said was "Mommy, you call Miss Brittany and tell her to come home?".  Miss Brittany was our wonderful summer Nanny who is now back at school.  I told Cassidy that Miss Brittany was back at school studying to be a doctor and that she couldn't come home.  Cassidy again said "you call Miss Brittany and tell her to come home?  Please!"  After the second time, I understood.  She was nervous about going to school and wanted Miss Brittany here at the house so she could stay and play with her instead of going to school.  Oh, that broke my heart.  I again told her Miss Brittany couldn't come home because she was at school just like her.  I told her she was going to have the best day ever, I promised.  She never mentioned it again, ate all her breakfast and couldn't wait to get her lunchbox and walk to school.  Like I promised, they both had the best day!  It is hard to believe that Chamberlain is in Kindergarten and Cassidy is now in Preschool.  Time sure does fly by.