Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Car Sick

When Derek is out of town, trying to get the girls ready for the day is an overwhelming task.  Some days, it is easy if Cassidy decides to sleep till 7:30.  I can focus on Chamberlain and get the process far enough along by the time Cassidy wakes up.  If Cassidy wakes up at 7:00, both girls need too much attention to be out the door by 8:00.  This brings me to today.  Chamberlain and I woke up at 6:30.  I thought..."ah, perfect day.  I will have everyone ready by 8:00.".  Cassidy woke up at 6:50, which didn't leave me very far along in our process.  I rushed around all morning till the nanny got here at 8:00.  Chamberlain was a turtle getting dressed, eating, brushing her teeth...everything took forever!  Since you know me so well, you probably know I have a type "A" personality.  I like to have control and I internally freak out if I am late.  I have been known to cancel date nights with my husband and friends because we are running late due to my husband taking 2 hours to get dressed.  So, why would being late to Chamberlain's school be different?  I tell myself it doesn't matter, it is a Montessori school.  At least they are laid back.  I just can't seem to make myself believe it doesn't matter. 

I was all stressed out driving to school.  Chamberlain didn't know I was stressed; I just drove a little faster than normal.  We were singing having a good time when she told me the light and shadows were bothering her.  Funny, I just had the same thought.  The shade from the trees was hitting my eyes like a strobe light as we drove by.  Seconds later, she said her tummy hurt and vomited everywhere.  We were almost to school.  Bless her heart.  I pulled into a horse farm's driveway and stripped her down to her undershirt she had on under her dress.  She told me "Mommy, you were driving too fast."  It broke my heart.  I can't believe I caused her to feel so sick.  Bad Mommy!

This has happened to Derek many times, and now I know how horrible he felt.  I always assumed it was Derek's driving, but today it happened to me.  I just can't seem to get over the fact that I ruined her fun day we had planned.  Caitlin and Grandma were meeting me at Serenbe to pick up Chamberlain from school today and we were all going to have a picnic and visit the horses. On the long drive home to clean Chamberlain up, she kept asking if we were still going to school and having a picnic with Grandma and Caitlin.  She was so upset when she learned she wasn't going to school.  I told her we would call Grandma and see about having a picnic in Tributary instead.  I took her home, got her cleaned up in a bath, got a second breakfast in her, and then brought her to Grandmas for a fun day with her cousin Caitlin.  Chamberlain and Caitlin had the best day together. 

I called our Pediatrician to find out if there is anything we could do on a daily basis to prevent Chamberlain from feeling car sick.  They gave us a few suggestions.  After tennis tonight, I stopped at the drugstore.  I am trying the natural route first with acupressure arm bands.  I will also change my way of thinking.  I will no longer care if I am late when it involves Chamberlain or Cassidy.  Date nights are still off if it takes Derek longer than me to get ready!