Sunday, October 30, 2011

Scarlet Fever

Thursday night, we took the girls to our neighborhood pizza place. Chamberlain was, what I like call, "whiny pants" and I couldn't figure out why. She loves Oz Pizza, but that night nothing made her happy. She complained of her throat hurting, but that was it. She didn't have a fever, and she knew if she didn't go to school on Friday, she would not be able to go to McKenzie's Halloween costume party. So, long story short, I believe she downplayed how sick she really felt in fear of missing her party.  When I picked her up from school, Ms. Kara said Chamberlain did not eat her lunch. This is very abnormal for Chamberlain. Normally, I pack her enough food to feed an army and she eats everything. I took Chamberlain to the Blue Eyed Daisy Bake Shop to pick out a treat.  She picked out a big cookie, but barely ate a single bite.  I knew something was not right.
When we got home, I took her temperature and she had a low-grade fever. 30 minutes later, Derek took her temperature and it jumped to 101. No costume party for Chamberlain. She was devastated. She said her throat hurt and then asked me to sit next to her and scratch her back. As soon as I felt her sweet little back, I knew she had Scarlet Fever! She was covered from her neck to thigh, front and back with a rash. Poor baby was missing her costume party and our yearly Breast Cancer walk Saturday morning.

Cassidy and I left Saturday morning to support Mom in the Breast Cancer walk and Derek was able to take Chamberlain to the doctor. I was so sad my buddy wasn't with me at the walk. She walks with Mom and I every year! Derek called me just as we were finishing the walk to say the doctor confirmed it was Strep Throat and Scarlet Fever. Duh, Mom's are always right you know. She started her antibiotics that morning and was quarantined to her room for 24 hours. She never acted sick and enjoyed every minute of being allowed to watch movies and eat in her room without Cassidy bothering her. The doctor said she will be good to go 24 hrs. after taking her antibiotics (in plenty of time for Halloween-Yay)!