Ever since Cassidy was born, we started locking Chamberlain in her room at night. I know what you are thinking...fire hazard! We switched the locks so Derek and I have access, but the little princess must stay in her castle. It has worked great for an entire year. This week, Derek was out of town, and Chamberlain started coming downstairs, into my room between 5:00 and 6:30 in the morning. Tuesday and Wednesday I thought I was losing my mind. I swore I locked her in at night, but I kept thinking maybe I didn't. Last night, I made sure...but at 6:30 Chamberlain came walking in the room. She requested T.V. and her milk. I got her all set before I began interrogating her...
Mommy: "How did you come downstairs?"
Chamberlain: "I just unlocked the door."
Mommy: "That's amazing! How did you unlock your door?"
Chamberlain: "I just got my Barbie and she unlocked my door."
Mommy: "Wow, that's great. How did Barbie unlock your door?"
Chamberlain: "I just took her hand and put it in like this and then just did like this (turned it to the right) and it just opened."
The moral of the story...my daughter is way smarter than we give her credit for. She used her Barbie's hand, like a key, to unlock her bedroom door. This opens up a new world, which terrifies me. So, for a little piece of mind, security locks will be put on the front and back door so our little Houdini doesn't escape when I am getting Cassidy to sleep. That doesn't stop her from locking people out of the house (she has accomplished many times), but at least I can lock her in and know she is safe. Oh, the thought process of a 3 year old.